Things To Do In
Add to My Picks
Four blocks in the heart of the Historic District have been renovated to capture the authentic atmosphere and character of the city's old open marketplace. The market features artists working in their lofts and exhibits of works for sale. There are also restaurants, open-air cafés, theme shops, and stores offering crafts, accessories, and gifts.
Located on Columbia Square, the Isaiah Davenport House was built between 1815 and 1820 and is an exceptionally fine example of Federal architecture. It was the proposed demolition of this home that served as a catalyst in the founding of the Historic Savannah Foundation. It features a fine collection of Davenport china and period decorative arts.
Bordering the thriving river port, River Street imparts old-world charm. The nine-block brick concourse is ideal for strolling and ship-watching. More than 75 boutiques, galleries, artists' studios, restaurants, and pubs are housed in one-time cotton warehouses that have been restored to their rustic beauty
Jepson Center for the Arts features two large galleries for major traveling exhibitions and galleries for African-American art, Southern art, photography, and works-on-paper, as well as a community gallery. The center also has a 3,500-square-foot hands-on gallery for young people; two outdoor sculpture terraces; education studios; a 200-seat auditorium; a café; and a store. The center is covered with glistening white Portuguese stone and consists of two separate structures connected by glass bridges. The building has a soaring, light-filled atrium and a sweeping, three-level staircase that provides access to its expansive galleries.
Leopold's is an ice cream parlor circa 1935. Much of the décor is original including the original soda fountain, soda fountain cover, back bar, sundae holders, banana split boats, and malted milk dispenser–all of which are still in use. Even the old Philco radio and the wooden-interior phone booth from the old store are being used!
The Beach Institute is Georgia's oldest school for African Americans. Initially, the school had 600 students enrolled, with nine female teachers and a male principal. Most of the teachers were white and tuition was $1 per month. The Beach Institute closed as a school in 1919. Visitors may view local and national African American art exhibitions, including an impressive collection by Ulysses Davis, a renowned native Savannah wood carver.
William Jay designed this house for merchant prince William Scarbrough, one of the principal investors in the S.S. Savannah, the first steam vessel to cross the Atlantic. This maritime museum houses a large collection of ship models, artifacts, and memorabilia representing humanity's 2,000 year quest to conquer the sea.
The museum archives the struggle of Georgia's oldest African-American community from slavery to the present. Guided and narrated tours through three floors of photographic and interactive exhibits chronicle the civil rights struggle in Savannah. The museum was named in honor of the father of the Savannah Civil Rights Movement.
Home of Paula Deen of the Food Network, The Lady & Son's Restaurant in downtown Savannah is located on Congress Street just off of City Market and Ellis Square. The restaurant is a favorite attraction for the city's visitors. People come from all over the country and world to enjoy the tastes of Paula Deen's famous Southern comfort food recipes. Come, sit down, have a glass of sweet tea, and savor all that the restaurant has to offer.
Savannah's Central of Georgia Railway National Landmark District is the oldest and most complete antebellum railroad manufacturing and repair facility still in existence in the United States. The Georgia State Railroad Museum now has permanent exhibits in seven of the 13 structures on the site. Exhibits focus on steam engines, belt-driven machinery, locomotives, railroad rolling stock, and model railroad layouts. This is one of the most extensive collections of rolling stock and machinery in Georgia.
The Savannah Theatre opened its doors for the first time December 4, 1818 with a production of the comedy "A Soldier's Daughter." Now, after several centuries and a few face lifts, the Savannah Theatre houses the performance ensemble "The Beat Goes On" and remains the oldest continuously operating theater site in America.
Built between 1818 and 1820, the center is the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts. The building has been restored and furnished to depict the 1870s and was named Savannah's first National Historic Landmark in 1965. It is owned and operated by the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. as a memorial to their founder and is a program center for all members. The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace is an exciting destination for Girl Scout troops from across the country and around the world.
Designed and built in 1818 by William Jay, the Telfair Mansion was the site of the royal Governor's residence. The mansion contains many family furnishings. A large wing was added in 1883 that contains superb American and European paintings and sculpture. It is the oldest art museum in the South.
This 30-acre park is bordered on the north by Gaston Street, on the south by Park Avenue and has a 1 mile perimeter, making it a popular stop for outdoor enthusiasts. The park's north end is home to a cast iron fountain that was erected in 1858. The famed Forsyth Park Fountain was designed to resemble the grand fountain in Paris at the Place de la Concorde. An exact replica of the Forsyth Park Fountain resides in Cuzco, Peru. The park is also adorned by monuments to the Confederate Soldier, the Marine Corps Monument and the Fragrant Garden for the Blind. The Forsyth Park Fountain is one of the most popular attractions for Savannah visitors.
This $13 million museum honors the courage, character, and patriotism embodied by the men and women of the Eighth Air Force from World War II to the present. The 95,000-square-foot museum is situated on a 13-acre tract at the intersection of Interstate 95 and U.S. Highway 80 in Pooler, just outside of Savannah. This landmark includes a museum, library, static aircrafts, displays, archives, research center, bookstore, and gift shop.